Kellogg West & Cal Poly Pomona History
Kellogg West Conference Center & Hotel is uniquely located on a wooded hilltop overlooking cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg's former ranch estate. The land on which Kellogg West was built was donated by W.K. Kellogg.
Born in 1860, W.K. Kellogg was his fathers 7th son. He was raised in and upon starting schooling, was thought to be “dim-witted” because of his persistent difficulty in reading by his schoolteacher. By his early twenties, he discovered it was merely a case of being near-sighted. Years later, having built his fortune, W.K. recalled his childhood setback. Recognizing the importance of proper health care for all children, he reflected: "Since then, I have often thought of what science can do for under privileged children if they can be taken in hand at the proper time." The W.K. Kellogg Foundation's mission is to stimulate a better quality of life and future outlook for communities in the United States and worldwide. The practical approach of its programs improves health care, education, food management, and the tools of technology to replace patterns of passive dependency with a real sense of partnership that empowers people to help themselves. These themes are echoed in the programs the W.K. Kellogg Foundation has generously supported over the years at Cal Poly Pomona.
Following the end of W.W. II, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation was again in search of an institution of higher learning to assume operating control over the Kellogg Ranch property. On October 13, 1949, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation offered custody of the Ranch to the State of California, to expand the southern branch of the California State Polytechnic College. Today, under the terms of the grant deed, Cal Poly Pomona must adhere to specific conditions of the gift, or return the Ranch to the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. Over the years, the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Center has thrived, and the two organizations have indeed enjoyed a long-standing relationship. The W.K. Kellogg Foundation has supported a number of projects and programs including the Kellogg West Center for Continuing Education, the Center for Regenerative Studies, and the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library, which boasts one of the most extensive collections of Arabian horse materials in the world.
The W. K. Kellogg Foundation
Believing that our children are the key to lasting change, Mr. Kellogg established the W.K. Kellogg Child Welfare Fund in 1930. Assigning to the fund most of the stock in the Kellogg Company, he instructed his hand-picked board of trustees to: "Use the money as you please, so long as it promotes the health, happiness, and welfare of children." In time, W.K. realized that his Foundation could serve people of all ages in a multitude of ways. As his own sight deteriorated with his advancing age, he made significant contributions to agencies for the blind known for their programs that train people with impaired vision to be self-sufficient. And although the W.K. Kellogg Foundation's assets, scope, and diversity have grown over the years, its primary focus is still to help people to help themselves. By promoting individual leadership and volunteerism, people increase their understanding of often complex issues in the community, as well as develop a sense of ownership and responsibility.
W.K. Kellogg Foundation project teams were organized for their particular blend of expertise have effectively jump-started community development programs in the US, as well as the Caribbean, Latin America, and Southern Africa. The W.K. Kellogg Foundation is also at work at the government level, helping to write better policy, which affects the very people it represents, and are elected to serve. W.K. Kellogg's early vision for a better human condition was grounded in religious, moral and humanitarian values. But he was also a masterful implementer. Realizing that his trustees would outlive him, he conferred in them a strong sense of personal responsibility for the continuity of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation and its humane focus. His legacy has been honored. Since it's founding in 1930, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation has always remained close to the ground and in contact with the needs of real people.